The Pueblo West View

Barricaded man removed from home

SWAT team arrests man with gun, then later hospitalizes him

A 61-year-old Pueblo West man was arrested Sept. 21 after SWAT team members forced themselves into his home.

Just after 1 p.m. last Saturday, Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a call on Sweetwater Drive on a suicide call.

The resident told deputies the resident, David Hart, was suicidal and extremely agitated, a news report from the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office said.

Hart also was reportedly in possession of weapons and prescription drugs, the report said.

When deputies arrived, they secured the area around the home and attempted to make contact with Hart.

“As deputies approached the front door, hart opened it with a handgun pointed at himself, refused to come outside, and shut the door,” said Lisa Shorter, public information officer with the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office.

A Special Weapons and Tactics, or SWAT, team was called.

Once deputies from the SWAT team arrived and were in place, they didn’t have a visual of Hart. They knew he was in the home, the report said.

For the next two hours, deputies attempted to establish verbal communication with Hart to no avail, the report said.

Finally, deputies were able to hear low moaning coming from the house and cleared a window to get a view of the man, Shorter said.

He was in bed with a gun in his hand, Shorter said.

Deputies believed Hart was a danger to himself, and forced entry into his home.

“Hart refused to put down the gun, as a result, non-lethal techniques were used to subdue him,” Shorter said.

“Both beanbag rounds and a Taser were deployed.”

Hart was taken into custody.

An on-scene assessment identified Hart was incoherent and experiencing difficulty breathing, the news release said.

He has been taken to a local hospital for treatment of a suspected intentional overdose.

This investigation is ongoing.

Discuss this story
comments powered by Disqus
The Pueblo West View