Fire engulfs, destroys PW barn
When black flames engulfed the sky last Sunday, residents wondered what was on fire.
For anyone who owns livestock, works on a ranch or lives on a farm, any spark might be their worst nightmare.
Early Sunday morning, the Pueblo West Fire Department was dispatched at around 9:30 a.m. on a report of a horse stable fully engulfed with heavy fire.
The barn was home to about eight to 10 miniature horses, a full size horse, a goat, six chickens and various other animals.
For resident Amanda Funck, she was able to evacuate all the animals safely before crew arrived, according to Brad Davidson, public information officer for the Pueblo West Fire Department.
“There was a slight breeze blowing East to West which aided in the spread of the fire very rapidly,” Davidson said.
“The owners of the property were in the process of getting the horses out and into a safe location.
“No animals were injured from the fire and all were accounted for,” he added.
The fire, the cause which was determined to be from an electrical problem from a potable lamp, has left Funck scrambling to figure out how to keep her animals warm for the rest of the winter.
The fire was under control in about 20 to 30 minutes, Davidson said, but some of the firemen stayed on scene for another two hours “conducting salvage and overhaul to make sure all the fire was out.”
It was hard not to see the flames from a distance or from the highway.
Many residents questioned whether the Pueblo West Campground was on fire but it was the former home of the therapeutic riding center, Therapeutic Riding & Education Center, or TREC.
“After the investigation it was determined the origin of the fire was in the stable located on the East end and an electrical problem from a potable lamp that caused the fire,” Davidson said.
“The stable was a total loss.”
More than 60 residents who both witnessed the fire but also followed the news on the Pueblo West Fire Department and the Pueblo West Metropolitan District’s Facebook pages stepped up to help the owner with supplies or donations.
“Thanks to everyone one that helped,” wrote Amanda Funck on the Pueblo West Metropolitan District’s Facebook page. “They all helped our animals get out and we didn’t lose any.
“Again thanks everyone. Keep us in your prayers as we clean up and find a way to keep the animals warm this winter.”
Offering varied from large dog kennels to blankets to setting up a gofundme page to help with any costs associated with the lost of the stable, which was about 8 feet wide by 150 feet long.
“It’s time like these that show the true measure of a community,” Funck wrote. “And this is a great community. Thanks to all that offered prayed and support. To those that took time out of there day to offer help, or items. You have all been a blessing.”